1. How often do you read?
I like to read quite often. I read magazines and newspapers and my textbooks. Apart from that I have read a few novels by Amrita Pritam. I have read her Pinjar, which means skeleton.
2. Do you have many books at home?
No, I do not have any books at home. I only have my textbooks at home.
3. Do Indian people do enough reading?
Yes, Indian people do a lot of reading. They read magazines, newspapers, fiction and nonfiction such as biographies and autobiographies.
4. Do Indian people like to read?
(similar to above)
5. What kind of people like reading and what kind of people don’t like reading very much?
People who are literate like to read. Many people don’t like reading because they don’t have interest in reading.
6. What type of books children read nowadays?
Nowadays, generally speaking, the reading habit of the children is on the decline. Whatever books they read are based on fantasy, fiction and supernatural characters like Barbie, superman and shaktiman.
50 years ago – Children read a lot. They read moral and spiritual books. They read animal stories.
After 50 years – I do not think they will do any reading. All the time will be spent in front of computers.
7. Do you think children have lost their interest in stories?
No, I don’t think that children have lost their interest in stories. However, the stories they read today are very different from the past.
8.Can story books be an ideal gift for children?
Yes, definitely! Story books can be an ideal gift for children. They can help the child imagine the characters in the mind which is the first step to creativity. Another important benefit is that we can impart the knowledge of culture, tradition, moral values and religion in the mind of the child. This forms the basis of the child’s personality. Finally, story books enhance the curiosity of the child and enhance their mental growth.
9. What can be done to encourage the habit of reading among children?
A lot can be done to encourage the habit of reading among children. The first and foremost step would be to make books available. There should be good libraries in the schools as well as in neighbourhoods. Story telling competitions could be organised. If children have to take part in these competitions, then naturally, they would be encouraged to read books. Finally, books could be made more interesting by adding graphics.
10. How does reading help a child?
Reading helps to improve concentration. It also helps to improve general knowledge. It also improves the language skills and satisfies the curiosity of children on various things.
11. What sort of books can be suggested to children to read?
Children should be encouraged to read religious and historical books. They should also read biographies and autobiographies of famous people so that they get motivation from them. They should also be encouraged to read books on science and technology. However, these books should be made very interesting by adding pictures.
12. How much should a child read every day?
A child should read half to one hour daily. I think that would be enough considering that they have to go to school and do their homework as well.
13. What is the difference between the books sold in the past and the books sold nowadays?
In the past, books related to culture, tradition, religion and history were sold. Nowadays, books are mostly based on fiction and fantasy.
1. Who is your favorite celebrity in India?
My favorite celebrity in India is Amir Khan. He’s an actor par excellence. Recently I saw his movie Dangal, which I liked very much.
2. Do you like any foreign celebrities?
Yes, I like some cricketers of Australia and South Africa.
3. Would you want to be a celebrity in the future?
No, I would not want to be a celebrity in the future. I am happy with the quiet and peaceful life of a commoner.
4. Do you think we should respect famous people’s privacy?
Yes, we should respect famous people’s privacy. They have a right to their privacy. It can affect their performance if anyone invades their private life.Makkar IELTS
5. How do celebrities influence their fans in India‘?
Celebrities are role models for their fans. People like to follow their celebrity, and do what they do.
1. How often do you eat chocolate?
I do not eat chocolate very often. I eat chocolate once or twice a month. Usually I like dark chocolate, which is not very sweet.
2. What’s your favorite flavor?
My favorite flavor is Cadbury’s dark delight.
3. ls chocolate expensive in India?
Yes chocolate is expensive in India, especially the chocolate of foreign brands, which is available here.
4. When was the first time you ate chocolate?
I don’t remember exactly, but I have been eating chocolate since I was very small.
5. ls chocolate popular in India?
Yes, chocolate is very popular in India. We can get all varieties of Indian and imported chocolate.
64. Outdoor activities
1. What do you do in your spare time?
I do many things in my spare time. I watch TV, listen music and do a little bit of gardening.
2. Do you like outdoor activities?
Yes, I like outdoor activities. I go for walks in the morning. I play badminton at times and I also do some gardening.
3. What outdoor activities do you (most) like to do?
( same as above)
4. How often do you do that?
I do these activities almost everyday.
5. What outdoor sports do you like? (Why?)
I like many outdoor sports such as cricket hockey and football, but I play only badminton.
6. How much time do you spend outdoors every week?
I spend about 30 to 40 hours outdoors every week.
7. How often do you do outdoor activities?
I do these outdoor activities very often, almost every-day.
8. What (types of) outdoor activities are popular in your country?
India is a diverse country. All types of outdoor activities are popular. But, I think cricket is the most popular outdoor sports.
1. Do you like to take photographs? (Why?)
Yes, I like taking photographs. Photographs are the memories of good times and special events. We can capture special moments, interesting things or beautiful sceneries through pictures. They are reminders of good times.
2. Do you prefer to take photos yourself or to have other people take photos? (Why?)
I prefer taking photos myself, as everyone has a different way of looking at things. Another person may not like, what I find interesting.
3. How long have you liked taking photographs?
I have liked taking photographs since I was a child. We used to take our camera to all our vacations and I used to be very fascinated with it. Now I mostly use my cellphone to take pictures.
4. How (why) did you become interested in photography?
I became interested in photography because my father was very fond of taking pictures and he always had a good camera. We used to take a camera to all our vacations and take pictures.
5. How often do you take photographs?
I take photographs very often, in fact almost everyday.
6. In what situations do you take photographs?
I take photographs in many situations. Sometimes its during friends or family get-togethers, sometimes it is a beautiful scenery, like of the sky or the sunset or when I travel to another city, I take pictures and on many more such situations.
7. What kind of photos do you like to take? (Why?)
I like to take photos of different things. Sometimes it is a beautiful scene, which can be of the clouds, sky, sunrise, sunset and so on. Sometimes I take pictures of plants and animals. I also like to capture the different expressions on people’s faces.
8. Do you prefer to take pictures of people or of scenery?
I do not prefer one to the other. I like taking pictures of various things, sometimes it’s scenery and sometimes I like capturing a person’s expressions.
9. Who do you take photos of?
I take photos of family, relatives, friends, my dogs, other animals, etc.
10. How do you keep your photos?
I save pictures mostly in online albums, like Google photos. Sometimes, I get them printed also.
11. Do you keep your photographs on your computer?
Yes, I keep my photographs on the computer. I always backup my phone photos onto the computer.
12. Are there any photos on the walls of your home?
Yes, there are photos on the walls of my home. We have pictures of all special family events, like birthdays and weddings and also of all of us growing up and at different stages of our lives.
13. Do you frame (or have you framed) any of your photos? (If yes, which? & why?)
Yes, I have a family photo framed. It is from my sister’s wedding. All five members of my family are there in this picture together and everyone is looking cheerful and happy. It is one of my favorite photographs.
14. Do you prefer to send postcards to people or to send photos that you took yourself? (Why?)
I prefer to send photographs I took myself, as they are a way to share your experiences with your near and dear ones and letting them know that you are thinking of them.
66. Television and Radio
1. What kind of entertainment do you prefer, TV or radio? (Why?)
I pay for TV to radio because TV is both audio as well as visual. I listen to radio only while traveling.
2. How are radio programs and television programs different?
While listening to radio you can do other things such as cooking and driving. This is not possible while watching TV. Radio programs are cheaper as you do not have to subscribe to radio channels. Watching television is costlier in comparison. Radio programs have only the audio component whereas TV is audio as well as visual.
3. What programs do you like to watch/listen to?
I like to watch sitcoms like comedy night with Kapil. I also watch some daily soaps, some sports channels and news programs.
I listen radio Mirchi and other such radio channels from where I can listen to the latest songs.
4. When do you watch TV/listen to the radio?
I watch TV mostly in the evenings. At that time we all family members sit together and watch some sitcoms or news channels. I listen to radio only when I’m traveling with my parents in our car.
5. In India, has television/radio changed much in recent years?
Television has changed a lot in the recent years. Many new channels and programs have been added. High-definition TV has become very popular. You can also watch some TV shows of other countries almost at the same time. In the radio also many new channels have been added. So there is an improvement in both TV and radio.
6. How do you think TV/radio broadcasts in India could be improved?
Some new shows on education could be added. Otherwise I’m quite happy with the TV programs and the radio broadcasts.
7. Do you prefer TV news or news on the radio? (Why?)
I prefer news on TV to news on radio. This is because TV has both the audio as well as a visual component.
67. Teacher (More questions with sample answers in the end)
1. What kind of teachers do you like best?
I like teachers who are friendly and have patience; who do not get mad at me when I don’t understand anything. I like teachers who have depth of knowledge of the subject, and who have good communication skills to teach well.
2. Who was your favorite teacher when you were young?
When I was young Mr. Baldev was my favorite teacher. She used to teach me maths. I remember I used to be very weak at Maths, but Mrs. Promilla taught us so well that Maths became my favorite subject.
3. Would you want to be a teacher in the future?
Yes, I would definitely want to be a teacher in the future. I think I have the patience. Moreover, teaching is a very lucrative profession nowadays.
4. Have you ever had bad teachers before?
No, I have never had bad teachers in my life. All my teachers have been very nice.
1. Do you often read newspapers?
Yes, I often read newspapers. I read the newspaper every day. I come to know what is happening around me and in the world.
2. Which do you prefer reading, magazines or newspapers?
I prefer reading newspapers because I like to know what is happening around me.
3. What kinds of (types of) newspapers (or magazines) do you usually read?
My father has subscribed to the Tribune. So I read that daily. It is a National newspaper, but has a maximum circulation in Punjab.
4. How old were you when you first started to read newspapers?
I remember I was 10 years old when I started reading the newspaper. I started from the sports
5. Do you think it’s important to read newspapers? (Why?/Why not?)
It is very important to read newspapers. We feel connected with the whole world.
6. Why do (you think) people read newspapers?
People read newspapers to know what is happening around them. They also read newspapers for the international news. They also read newspapers for the employment advertisements and matrimonial.
7. What different types of newspaper are there in India?
There are broadsheets and tabloids. There are newspapers in English, Hindi, Punjabi and other regional languages.
8. Do you care about the news?
Yes, I care about the news. I think news is very important. We should be aware of what is happening around us and in the whole world.
9. Is the news important (to you)?
(same as above)
10. What kinds of news do Indian people read in newspapers?
Indian people like to read fall types of news. They read local news, National news, International news, Sports news and many other news.
11. Do you prefer to read about domestic (or local) news or international news? (Why?)
I like to read domestic news as well as international news.
12. What are some methods that newspapers use to attract readers?
Some newspapers use colourful graphics. Some use very bold headlines. Some newspapers add puzzles like Sudoku and crossword puzzles to attractive readers.
13. What influence do you think newspapers have on society?
Newspapers have a lot of effect on society. They shape people’s opinions. Through letters to the editor they are a link between the government and people. They also entertain us.
14. Do you think the Internet is a good way to get news?
Yes, the Internet is a really good way to get the news nowadays. People subscribe to the newspapers. There are many apps off the TV News channels, which help the people to be updated all the time.
1. How often do you look at yourself in the mirror everyday
I look at the mirror at least once a day when I go out for my work. Apart from that whenever I get a chance I flatter myself by looking at the mirror. I think if you are a confident person, looking at the mirror always boosts your confidence
2. Have you ever bought mirrors?
Yes, I bought a beautiful mirror when I went to Jodhpur last month, it has a nice wooden frame and a clear mirror to look at. It also has carving on the frame
3. Would you use Mirrors to decorate rooms?
Yes I would like to use Mirrors to decorate the rooms. Mirrors add space to the room and also enhance the lighting effect. My interior decorator friend also recommended it for my study room recently.
4. Do you check yourself when you decide to buy a mirror?
Yes, I check for any defects or flaws in the reflection, when buying a mirror. I also check for any physical damage, like cracks or den
1. Do you like robots?
Yes I like robots as they can do so much for you these days. There are simple robots to clean the houses and sophisticated ones to perform surgeries.
2. What kind of robot would you like to have
Recently I have heard about a robot that cleans your room I would like to process one. It is like an automatic vacuum cleaner that picks up the dirt from all the looks and corners
3. Will robots change society significantly?
Yes, robots will changes in society. In fact they have already done so, most of the jobs that were done manually earlier are performed with the help of robotics and with more precision. No I don’t think robot will change the society it will only change the way we work